
So I continued my 2 weeks in New York by heading further north up to Albany. I'd never been up there and despite going to upstate New York in March I was excited. First another state capital! And then from my looking at the National Parks I knew that Martin Van Buren (8th President) home was about a half hour south but it would be closed until the end of May so hey, a state capital and a national park it is gonna be good! So Tuesday I had a crazy travel day - left the snow in JFK after my fun few days in the city and had a layover in Dulles (sooooo close to home! the worst!) and landed in an even snowier Albany. (SO SICK OF WINTER!) But after some work on Wednesday I headed out for my adventure!
 |
| the New York Capitol building - it was absolutely gorgeous inside - and they had just finished a restoration |
 |
| they had an awesome exhibit on NY battle flags from all the different NY units - mostly from the Civil War but other ones too! |
So after my fun at the capitol I headed south to Kinderhook - home of the 8th President Martin Van Buren. Now his house - Lindenwald was closed until the end of May, but I walked around a little bit and because I got there after 5 the visitors center was closed so I didn't get my stamp :( but this is park #64 for me!
 |
| National Park #65! Woooooo! |
 |
| his house and farm - he was born down the road and is also buried in a cemetery there too! |
So then I worked the conference Thursday to Sunday afternoon. And needed to find something to do for when I finished on Sunday - so I knew we were close-ish to Vermont, haven't been there in 10 years and maybe there was a national park there not too far away... So back to the maps and I notice another national park in NY only 45 minutes away. Saratoga National Historical Park - a super important Revolutionary War battle. Figured out out my Sunday plans! So Sunday afternoon I was headed there and I had a great afternoon - the sun was out and it was warm (ok 40 feels warm now!) and while most of the park was closed - winter in upstate NY... I chatted with the park rangers - seriously I've become besties with so many park rangers, we can chat for a long time! and one honestly gave me a 45 minute talk about the battle and I was in heaven! I haven't focused on the Revolutionary War in a LONG time - and especially not in NY, much better with my NJ history. But this guy was seriously awesome!
 |
| National Park #65!! |
 |
| View from the visitors center |
So that was my fun and exciting Sunday afternoon - I enjoyed driving around and being in a more rural area. And the Sunday night I attempted to go to bed early as I had a 5:20 am flight and a day full of flying to get to Orlando!
So had a great time in New York and I got to add a State Capitol and 2 more National Parks! Woooo!
3 comments:
you are a travelling machine!! Looks like your having a blast though! I too am so over winter, cannot wait for Spring!
I was meaning to let you know about MVB's home when I heard you were headed to Albany! I'm glad you were able to go! If you ever wanna go to that part of the world again, let me know. My parent's live outside of Albany. :)
The capitol building is gorgeous! wow! I've never been outside of NYC, well very much.
Post a Comment