I absolutely LOVE London! It is my second favourite city in the world - after NYC.
I went this weekend for a little sorority reunion. I am a part of the UK/Europe alumni group for my sorority and when I have the chance, I pop over for an event. They meet about once a month for dinner in London and then another 3-4 times a year either a Saturday or weekend somewhere. Last April I went over for the first time for the weekend in Cambridge, which was soooo much fun! I loved getting to meet other sisters who were living in Europe, some there for a short time like me and others much more permanent. It is a very fluctuating group, as many people are only over for 1-2 years, so a lot of the people I met last year are no longer over. I hadn’t been able to make it over to anything recently, I was home in July for Race for Life and couldn’t go to Spain in October, but when I was in London in December I was able to meet up with 5 ladies for dinner, which was great! So I was really looking forward to this weekend, plus a sister from my undergrad who I am friends with is now doing a MA in London, and 2 other sisters from WAC who are also living in Europe were in London for the weekend as well!
Friday I headed to the airport for my flight and go into the London centre around 3 and easily found Jackie's place. We caught up - which was great because I hadn't seen her in 3 years!! And then we headed off to the Victoria and Albert Museum, but we got distracted walking by Kensington Gardens, and ended up frolicking through them and seeing Peter Pan!
Peter Pan staute in Kensington!
Then we headed to the V&A and enjoyed the museum, we didn't have much time but what we saw was fun! And it was just great to catch up with Jackie. The we met up with two other sisters who were spending the weekend in London - Ebeth and Leah and had a great dinner and catching up on life in four different European countries, funny memories from WAC and life. After dinner we headed out to a few bars, and it was fun. The cosmo I had with dinner was fab! I forgot how much I LOVE girly drinks, I only ever drink pints or cider here. And it was funny when a guy and his friend were talking to us and was like where are you from? And 4 American girls each respond with London, Ireland, France and Spain, it totally looked like we were making it up! The guy totallly didn't believe us. And honestly if I was told this I wouldn't believe it either! So it was a fun night!

leah-spain, jackie-london, me and ebeth -france
Saturday Jackie and I headed into Windsor for the London sorority event. It was at one of the member's houses and there were 10 of us there and we got there about 1.30 and left at 8.30 and from the moment I walked in the door my wine glass was never empty! I must have had about 7 glasses of red wine, and it was great wine, mostly Spanish. It was great though getting to see a few women I've met a few times and getting to meet a few new ones. So lots of fun talk, about life, random events, we had on the 6 Nations rugby for a few of the husbands that came with, and I was totally keeping my eye on that! I was sooo mad Wales beat Italy, it really looked like Italy was going to pull off a major upset. But Ireland beat Scotland, in a good game, they played ehhh, the first half but pulled it off in the second. This weekends match against Wales determines the 6 Nations Champ! If Ireland wins, they are champs and they beat all 5 teams. If they loose, they still could win 6 Nations, but it depends on points and such. I'm going to miss rugby. So back to sorority, I had a great time and wish I was closer so I would have been able to see these women more, so I can't wait to join an alumni chapter wherever I end up!
Jackie and I took the train back with another sister, a much later train than we planned, but Jill kept opening more bottles of wine! And quickly changed and made our way out. I was honestly more looking forward to bed, than going out. Wine when drank quickly gets me drunk, 7 glasses over an afternoon makes me tired and slightly drunk. So we met up with one of Jackie's friends, and didn't stay out long. We were both tired and the guys with her friend were slightly sketchy.
Sunday Jackie and I had made plans to meet up with the other 2 girls for brunch along Portabello Road/Market (made famous by Notting Hill) but they changed plans and didn't really let us know... so time was wasted waiting for them. But we did have fun wandering about the Market, I bough a few things. I'm a sucker for markets and stalls. And we did have an amazing brunch ourselves! But with the waiting and such, we ran out of time so I didn't get over to the British Museum, instead I had to head back to Jackie's to get my bag and head to Heathrow.
So overall it was a fabulous weekend in London. Funnily enough I didn't go over to Big Ben at all, something I've done every other time I've been in London. I just love the area around Parliament and seeing it, always reminds me of my first view of it. It was great to see the London girls again and the next time I'm in London I'll definitely be letting them know and meeting up for dinner with whoever! And seeing Jackie was great, I've really missed seeing people I know, and it was a fun little reunion in London with the girls :)
So it has honestly taken me forever to write this, I don't know why?
Can't believe this is my last week. eeeeeeeek!!
Jackie and I took the train back with another sister, a much later train than we planned, but Jill kept opening more bottles of wine! And quickly changed and made our way out. I was honestly more looking forward to bed, than going out. Wine when drank quickly gets me drunk, 7 glasses over an afternoon makes me tired and slightly drunk. So we met up with one of Jackie's friends, and didn't stay out long. We were both tired and the guys with her friend were slightly sketchy.
Sunday Jackie and I had made plans to meet up with the other 2 girls for brunch along Portabello Road/Market (made famous by Notting Hill) but they changed plans and didn't really let us know... so time was wasted waiting for them. But we did have fun wandering about the Market, I bough a few things. I'm a sucker for markets and stalls. And we did have an amazing brunch ourselves! But with the waiting and such, we ran out of time so I didn't get over to the British Museum, instead I had to head back to Jackie's to get my bag and head to Heathrow.
So overall it was a fabulous weekend in London. Funnily enough I didn't go over to Big Ben at all, something I've done every other time I've been in London. I just love the area around Parliament and seeing it, always reminds me of my first view of it. It was great to see the London girls again and the next time I'm in London I'll definitely be letting them know and meeting up for dinner with whoever! And seeing Jackie was great, I've really missed seeing people I know, and it was a fun little reunion in London with the girls :)
So it has honestly taken me forever to write this, I don't know why?
Can't believe this is my last week. eeeeeeeek!!
7 comments:
I'm so glad you saw the peter pan statue!! You were right near where I lived. If you saw the Netherlands Embassey my flat was right next door!
I love the V&A!! Especially the fashion part with all the dresses throughout history!
Aw, glad you had a great time in London. I so had my fingers crossed that Scotland would beat Ireland...and for the first half, it totally looked possible. Why did everything have to change in the second half!?!?!
xx
I know absolutely nothing about rugby. I didn't even know that Italy had a team! But it sounds like a fun and successful trip. London's a cool place, I definitely hope to get back there sometime down the road.
Glad you had a good time in London! I Love it there and definitely want to go back...when I have a teensy bit more money :)
Oh, I LOVED Notting Hill! We walked around for HOURS. It was one of my favorite places I visited while I was in London.
i am very fond of this statue//kensington...i miss it sooo much.
So fun! I have been to London, but I didn't have time to get to the outskirts during my trip. I definitely want to go back.
Post a Comment